• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  900
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, WorthyNewsBot said:

I have a small question. 

Why is the church called primitive in the title?

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

@just_abc

It means that the people in the village  adhere to the original teachings and methods of the early church.  Has nothing to do with ingenious people.

• Group:  Senior Member

5 minutes ago, appy said:

@just_abc

It means that the people in the village  adhere to the original teachings and methods of the early church.  Has nothing to do with ingenious people.

Thank you very much for explaining Appy.... I appreciate that very much....

But.... I am very sorry Appy... but using such a term for an article about local villagers or indigenous people.. especially without explaining beforehand or in the post / article.. exactly what one means by 'primitive'....I don't think that is always a good thing to do..

Because it can so easily be misunderstood....

Just my personal thoughts.  Truly don't mean any offence to you or anyone else..

Thanks.

And I am very sorry.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 12/20/2019 at 4:04 AM, just_abc said:

I have a small question. 

Why is the church called primitive in the title?

I believe that the term here, is being applied to the church building, the thing that was burned. It is not a reference to the people as primitive, if that is the concern.

From an article in Morning Star News (cited in the Worthy news article) come these paragraphs:

"Tribal animists in eastern India earlier this month surrounded a church building with axes, threatened to kill Christians within and later burned down the thatched-roof structure, sources said."

"They took no one else hostage, but that night they set the mud-and-bamboo structure on fire, the pastor said."

"Christians from the Adivasi hamlet reside about one kilometer far from the church site,” Pastor Pradhan said. “But the fire spread faster, and within 10 to 15 minutes the roof made of dry grass shattered, and the bamboos also caught fire."

I bolded verbiage in the above for emphasis. There are three references to the structure of the building. I think that is all that was likely meant by "primitive". The buildings are not of a more modern type of construction nor ornate, etc.

If I was to ask someone to build me a primitive structure, I would expect them to make me something that would not require high tech tools, nor modern materials. The building in the article, was made from grass, mud and cut sticks. Here then, primitive just means is just very basic, nothing insulting about it, and I do not think any offence should be taken, just because something is described accurately as being very basic.

1372174180_Tribal-animists-burned-church-building-in-Perigaon-village-Odisha-state-India-on-Dec.-1-2019.-Morning-Star-News1.jpg.e311ad996cca22f707c325fe8dbea4d0.jpg

The point of the article, I believe, is to draw attention to how Christians are being persecuted in that part of the world.

• Group:  Senior Member

5 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I believe that the term here, is being applied to the church building, the thing that was burned. It is not a reference to the people as primitive, if that is the concern.

Thank you very much for explaining brother.  I was wondering what exactly was being meant.  So thank you for explaining! 

The reason I raised the issue is because in some parts of the world.. .. the word 'primitive' can sometimes be considered offensive or negative by some .. especially when used to describe indigenous peoples or local villagers etc.... 

There is also sometimes a um not good history.. regarding how the term was sometimes/often used in the past against indigenous people or even local villagers in some non-western countries.. for example during colonial times in those countries..

So that term can be controversial.. or misunderstood perhaps..

Anyways just wanted to explain that's all. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by just_abc