• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.74
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.84
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Personally, I believe students should know his middle name because without that understanding, they will miss out on a lot of the controversy that has been going on with his presidency.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/05...extbook-battle/

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Committees of politicians micromanaging the contents of textbooks in this way is pretty depressing. Surely, textbook writing should be left to the professionals and textbook selection left to the individual schools and teachers. It's not that I'm a great fan of the things to be honest as a lot of the ones I have to work with in my sector are fairly mediocre, but this sort of stuff can only make them worse.

Anyway exploring controversial issues such as this should be something that's done in the classroom not in the committee room. It's the role of the teacher to expose their students to all sides of such arguments and allow them to come to their own conclusions, not to drip feed them the official line of whichever tendency dominates the selection committee.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1951

The man's name is Barack Hussein Obama. It should be written as such in history/text books and on all "official". It's an unusual name to most American ears, but it's his name nonetheless. He comes by it honestly. Just because his middle name has an unfortunate connotation to a certain dictator only means we have to grow past making the comparison. Do you think people thought of a toilet everytime they heard JFK's name?

why would jfk make anyone think of a toilet?

"John", I think.

"From now on, all the toilets in the realm shall be known as 'johns'." - King Richard in Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Committees of politicians micromanaging the contents of textbooks in this way is pretty depressing. Surely, textbook writing should be left to the professionals and textbook selection left to the individual schools and teachers. It's not that I'm a great fan of the things to be honest as a lot of the ones I have to work with in my sector are fairly mediocre, but this sort of stuff can only make them worse.

Anyway exploring controversial issues such as this should be something that's done in the classroom not in the committee room. It's the role of the teacher to expose their students to all sides of such arguments and allow them to come to their own conclusions, not to drip feed them the official line of whichever tendency dominates the selection committee.

Actually, amor, I quite agree with you.

My US history teacher in high school had the awesome gift of being able to argue both sides equally. Even though we knew he was a strong Liberal, he was able to mediate and moderate discussions and debates neutrally.

Out textbook on the other hand was so Liberally biased it was pathetic.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Days Won:  19

"From now on, all the toilets in the realm shall be known as 'johns'." - King Richard in Robin Hood: Men in Tights

:blink:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.85
  • Days Won:  33

:blink:

I loved that movie! Uber funny!!! :emot-hug:

I've got a mole? :laugh::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  78

The President's actual name should be used in the textbooks. He can't help what his parents named him and his name is what it is. Our society seems to be more and more polarized; either extreme right or extreme left. But the funny thing is that most Americans are neither. It's dumb to want to leave someone's name out of history books because it's the same as a dictator's. Should we not include ANY names that have such a connection? :blink: